Another Woody Guthrie song, also written in 1940, talks more in depth about the Dust Bowl experience. First of all, there are no trees in the Great Plains. The soil completely blew away, so the area was completely useless for anything productive. Thus, the song identifies California as a Canaan of sorts, a promised land for these workers who are in desperate need of jobs. Unfortunately, California has become flooded with migrant workers already, and so for many of these workers, they are in a worse situation than before because they have pinned all their hopes on California. Incidentally, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck tells very much the same story.
This song reminds me of Paddy's Lament, in a way, in that people are in terrible conditions and seek relief elsewhere. However, I think Americans can relate to this song more easily, because the poor workers seeking relief are their brothers, fellow Americans. Like Paddy's Lament, this song serves as a warning to people, who perhaps think things will be better elsewhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side, and people were probably better off staying put. I can sympathize with the workers affected by the Dust Bowl, however, because personally, if everything around me turned to dust, and there was no way I could make any money, I don't think anyone could seriously tell me that I would be better off staying in Oklahoma.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Song 9: Do Re Mi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment