![]()
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Dean_Franklin_-_06.04.03_Mount_Rushmore_Monument_%28by-sa%29-3_new.jpg/283px-Dean_Franklin_-_06.04.03_Mount_Rushmore_Monument_%28by-sa%29-3_new.jpg
My choice of the quintessential American landscape needs some brief (or, as I discovered after I typed all this out, maybe not so brief) explanation. Presented with the challenge of finding an American landscape, I sought to find the landscape that represented as much of what makes up America as I could. At this moment, I would not be surprised if those reading this are screaming at their computer screens right now, claiming that I am ignoring their favorite part of the American story. I am not claiming to wholly represent America, as that would be nearly impossible in one image (even if it is worth a thousand words). However, here are some things to consider concerning the image:
As many of you probably already know, the sculpture before you is Mount Rushmore, which is located in the western portion of South Dakota. It depicts four past presidents of the United States, which can obviously represent the American ideal of a democratic, popularly supported government. However, each of the presidents tells an additional story about the American experience. George Washington symbolizes the founding of the nation, reminding us of the colonial roots with England. Thomas Jefferson represents the great expansion of the United States, with the acquisition of the Louisiana Purchase. Abraham Lincoln, of course, led the nation through the most difficult stretch in its history, the Civil War. Finally, Theodore Roosevelt was committed to the preservation of the nation through the establishment of the National Park Service.
In the summer of 2008, I had the great pleasure of travelling to western South Dakota, and I can attest to even more American ideals that this picture represents. First, the influence of Native Americans, specifically the Sioux, is huge. In fact, another great memorial, dedicated to Crazy Horse, is in progress not too far from Mount Rushmore. Some small towns in the area also depict various aspects of Americana. Sturgis holds a famous motorcycle rally annually, and, at least to me, this is representative of the American idea of individuality and freedom from authority, as the cyclists are quite the individuals. Another town, Deadwood, is famous for the legends of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, and symbolize the phrase "Wild West", which of course is a significant American subculture.
Finally, South Dakota is rather diverse geographically, though you wouldn't know it from the eastern portion of the state. From the towering Black Hills to the forbidding dryness of the Badlands, from the rushing waters of the Missouri River to the rolling Great Plains, South Dakota as a state perhaps represents the diversity of America better than most. Also, South Dakota is, by far, NOT urban, representing the relatively untouched continent that Europeans set foot upon 500 years ago.
So, in review, my landscape represents democracy. It represents the birth of a nation, and the subsequent success it soon enjoyed. It represents the dark times of the Civil War, and it represents the desire to preserve the beauty of the lands for future generations. It represents the Native American experience. It represents the idea of individual rights, and it represents the American legend and mythology. It represents the diversity of the continent, both demographically and environmentally.
Ideally, I would have displayed a landscape depicting the whole of South Dakota, but unfortunately, it is too large to fit in one photograph. Thus, I chose Mount Rushmore, because it is probably the image people most associate with the state (a quick search of Google images confirms this; after you get past a couple of maps of the state, Mount Rushmore is first). If asked to pick one state representative of America, I highly doubt people would choose South Dakota immediately. However, it makes sense, given that it contains the geographic center of the United States. No wonder it blends the aspects of American culture so seamlessly!
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Belle_Fourche.jpg
Monday, August 9, 2010
The Quintessential American Landscape
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment