There is something about Native American music that puts me in a tranquil mood. I think the complex interaction of all the instruments tends to be suggestive of the sounds of nature, and for most people, myself included, a secluded part of the outside is a very calm place indeed. Also the steady beat of the drums is very trance-like.
In fact, the Native American culture (which is technically inaccurate; I should say "the many Native American cultures") revolves around nature, particularly in music and religious festivities. Again the influence of religion can be seen on the music. Unfortunately, the Native Americans occupy a sad part of the American story, being forced from their homelands because white settlers wanted the land. While I was listening, I kept this in mind, but I also noticed that, while the beat of the drums remained steady, the other instruments came in and out and performed their own individual part. I think this represents America: one, single, unified dream, represented by the individuals that make up the nation.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Song 2: Apache Indian Drums
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment