This song is clearly a religious song (the title, translated from Spanish, means "virgin mother of God"). It is performed in a meditative way, close to a chant. The song seem to be intended to evoke reverence and a sense of awe for God.
As a Catholic myself, who has attended a Catholic school for the past eleven years of my life, I may not have the best perspective in identifying where this song fits in the patchwork of the American heritage. However, attempting to ignore my own personal environment, I think it a bit ironic that this song, while representative of several centuries ago, may even represent today. With a great immigration of Hispanics into the United States, the Spanish subculture is growing more and more. I think this song represents diversity, which is a significant part of what built the United States, and it also reflects religious freedom, also a significant reason many Americans ended up in America.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Song 1: Virgen Madre De Dios
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment